Associate Professor English Department
Kirby Hall 329
- Professor of Counseling Psychology
- Assistant Vice President for Academic Student Services
- Director of the Educational Opportunity Program
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of History, Business and Social Sciences
- Drew University, Madison, New Jersey, M.Phil., Ph.D. Modern Literature and Intellectual and Cultural History
- St. John’s University, Jamaica, New York, M.A., English Literature
- Montclair State University, Upper Montclair, New Jersey, M.A., History/ Social Sciences
- Fordham University, New York, New York, B.A., Philosophy and Political Science
- Seton Hall University, South Orange, New Jersey. Center for Public Service. Graduate Certificate in Non-Profit Administration.
- Professor of English
- Former Chair of English Department
- Former Associate Dean of Social Sciences & Behavioral Sciences
Dr. McParland is a professional member of the Authors Guild, Dramatists Guild, American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP), Nashville Songwriters International, Modern Language Association, Victorian Studies Association, and the Dickens Society. He has won the Kornitzer Award, has been a Writer’s Network, Hollywood, California, playwriting semi-finalist, and has won the Nettleton/Hirsch Poetry Award. As a musician, he has worked with several well-known music artists, has had songs aired on radio and cable television, and has written the lyrics and book for two musicals.
Field(s) of Interest/Expertise
- Victorian and Modern Literature and British Culture, Book History, Popular Music, 19th Century and 20th Century American Literature and American Culture.
Courses Taught at Felician University.
Courses Taught at Felician University
- Critical Perspectives/Literary Theory
- Victorian Studies
- Charles Dickens and Victorian Society
- Victorian Essay
- British Romanticism
- English Composition
- Introduction to Literature
- Making Moral Decisions
- Literature of the Fin de Siècle
- Journey to Selfhood
- The Short Story
- Critical Thinking and Writing
- Literature in English II (Romanticism to 20th Century Modern)
- The Drama
- Eighteenth Century Literature
- Twentieth Century Studies and Modernist Fiction
- Literature and Music
- Modern Continental Authors
- Bestseller: A History of the Bestsellers, 1895 to the Present. 2018.
- Native Son to King’s Men: The Literary Landscape of 1940s America. 2017.
- Citizen Steinbeck: Giving Voice to the People. 2016.
- Beyond Gatsby: How Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Writers of the 1920s Shaped the American Imagination. 2015.
- Mark Twain’s Audience: A Critical Analysis of Reader Responses to the Writings of Mark Twain. 2014.
- How to Write About Joseph Conrad. Bloom’s How to Write About Literature Series. 2011.
- Charles Dickens’s American Audience. 2010. Winner of Kornitzer Book Award, 2011.
- Philosophy and Literary Modernism, expected, 2019.
- Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young: Music to Change the World, expected 2019.
- Finding God in the Devil’s Music: Critical Essays on Rock Music and Religion (Saints, Sinners, and Seekers). Ed. Robert McParland and Alex Di Blasi, 2018.
- Myth and Magic in Heavy Metal Music. 2018.
- Science Fiction in Classic Rock: Musical Explorations of Space, Technology, and the Imagination. 1967-1982. 2017.
- Film and Literary Modernism, 2013.
- Music and Literary Modernism. 2007. 2nd edition 2009.
- Dr. McParland writes fiction, drama, songs, and has written more than sixty published essays.
www.bobmcparland.com | www.robertpmcparland.com