Students with Disabilities

Felician University is guided by the goal of educating a qualified and diverse student body and respecting each student’s dignity, ability to contribute, and desire for personal growth. The University desires to foster both intellectual and physical independence to the greatest extent possible in all of its students. Felician University offers equal educational opportunities and reasonable accommodations for the needs of qualified students with disabilities. The University supports the protection available to students with disabilities.

How do I qualify?
  • Any student admitted to Felician University, who discloses an existing disability, and can substantiate such a disability is entitled to the appropriate “reasonable accommodations” and service provided by the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities.
To whom do I disclose my disability(ies) and am I obligated to do so?

A student may, at the time of application, elect to disclose a disabling condition to an admission counselor. However, there is no statute of limitations on the time for disclosure; a student may disclose his or her condition to any administrator or faculty member at any time. The disclosing student will be directed to contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities as soon as possible in order to substantiate the disability. A student is under no obligation to disclose a disability; and such information may not be solicited from any member of the University community.

Once I have disclosed my disability(ies), what is the next step?
  • A student who has disclosed the existence of a disability should then contact the Office of Services for Student with Disabilities. The Office is located on the Rutherford Campus in Room 5 Sister Theresa Mary Martin Hall lower level. The phone number is 201. 559- 3190 or 201. 559- 3191.
What should I bring with me?

A student with a disability, who wishes to receive the appropriate and reasonable accommodations to which she/he is entitled under section 504, should bring current documentation to support their request. This may include: The most recent reports of a school psychologist, learning disability specialist and IEP (Individual Education Plan) or 504 Plan from high school (documentation should be within 3 years of the current date) and/or

  • The most recent report of a psychiatrist, certified medical practitioner or clinical psychologist (documentation should be dated within the current year).
What will the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities do with my records?
  • The substantiating documents will be photocopied and the original returned to the student. A brief interview will be conducted during which, in conjunction with the evidence of the supporting documents, the “reasonable” accommodations and modifications necessary to enable the student to “fully and equally participate” in the course offered at the University will be identified. If the student’s disability (ies) includes physical and/or psychological areas, the student’s case will be reviewed by a committee that consists of the appropriate professionals. The Coordinator will then present the recommendations to the student and together they will identify courses in which the student will need accommodations. A confidential file will then be recreated for the student containing a copy of the supporting documents, Section 504 Education Intervention Plan, course schedule, as well as the specific accommodations deemed appropriate for compliance with Section 504 of the ADA.
How will instructors know that I require accommodations?

At the university level, by law it is the student’s responsibility to notify the institution of any accommodations and/or academic adjustments appropriate to ensure equal access to programs and services. At the beginning of each academic semester, students who desire accommodations meet with the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities to discuss which accommodations and/or academic adjustments are necessary in a particular course or courses. An Accommodation Request Form is completed and given to the student for that particular class or classes. It is the student’s responsibility to provide the instructor with the form documenting the accommodations. The instructor will not act without this form. A student may choose to reveal specific information about the nature of his/her disability, and may do so directly, or can provide written consent for the Coordinator to communicate with a faculty member.

What are the typical “reasonable accommodations” provided for students with disabilities at Felician University?
  • The “reasonable accommodations” most commonly afforded students with disabilities at Felician University are as follows: Extended time on major test and exams.
  • The provision of an alternate site for administration on major tests and exams.
  • The use of a tape recorder or student note taker for lectures.
  • The use of a calculator for computation problems on math and science tests and exams, and
  • The use of a word processor or laptop for in class essay exams and tests.

The student’s disability must warrant the specific accommodation(s) and such accommodation(s) must comply with the provisions of the ADA (1990) and the section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973).

Are there tutorial services provided by the University?
  • Yes. Every student attending Felician University is able to register for and receive tutorial assistance with courses in the major discipline at the Center for Learning, located on the second floor of Kirby Hall (Room 222). In addition, every student at Felician University is able to receive tutorial support from the Writing Lab which is also located on the second floor of Kirby Hall (Room 225) and the Math Lab which is located in Room #4 on the lower level of Sister Theresa Mary Martin Hall.
Does Felician University provide a learning disabilities program?

Felician University does NOT provide a learning disabilities program. The Office of Services for Student with Disabilities is not a comprehensive learning disability program. There are no special classes or modified programs for students with disabilities, however, support services and accommodations are provided to eligible students with a variety of disabilities who request them after they are admitted to the University.

Does Felician University provide learning disabilities testing?
  • No. However, the Coordinator can conduct an interview and screening for current Felician students to determine if there is evidence that a comprehensive evaluation is warranted. The Coordinator can refer the student to community resources for more comprehensive testing. The student is responsible for the cost of any recommended learning disability assessment.
Will my transcript indicate affiliation with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities?
  • No. Affiliation with this office is confidential and not part of a student’s official academic record.

Contact Information

Carolyn Mitchell Kehayan, MA., LDTC

Kirby Hall
Lodi Campus Room 104
Phone: 201-559-6050 / 201- 559-6052