Kirby Hall, Room 110
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, University of Puerto Rico, July, 2016
- BA, Psychology with minor in Journalism, University of Puerto Rico, 2010
Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Dr. Rivera-Maldonado decided to move to New Jersey in 2015 to continuing developing her professional and academic career. While facing the challenges of the language barrier, she also found a passion to working with Latinx children and their families. In addition to teach at the Masters and Doctoral Program in Counseling Psychology, she also coordinates the YCS Dr. Helen May Strauss Clinic, an outpatient mental health clinic that serves children ages 0-21 and their families. As part of her role at Youth Consultation Service (YCS), she is part of the training faculty for the YCS Institute Psychology Internship Program, accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). She is also an APA Minority Fellow and a member of the National Latino Psychological Association.
Field(s) of Interest/Expertise
- women and psychopathology, motherhood, early childhood, play therapy, child psychology, immigration, Latinx mental health, biculturalism
Courses Taught at Felician University
- PSYC 591: Child and Adolescent Counseling Psychology
- PSYC 597: Multicultural Counseling
- PSYC 575: Internship I
- PSYC 622: APA Ethics and Legal Issues
- Tools for Treating Trauma-Related Disorders Among Latinos.
Torres A., Rivera-Maldonado M. (2017) In: Benuto L. (eds) Toolkit for Counseling Spanish-Speaking Clients. Springer, Cham.
- El desarrollo de competencias interdisciplinarias en el trabajo con estudiantes de Educación Especial [Developing Interdisciplinary Competencies in Psychology Professionals Working with Children with Special Needs].
Martínez, S., Félix, J., Ruiz-Alfaro F., Rivera-Maldonado, M. (2015). Pedagogía, 48 (1), pp. 155-176.
- Creación y Validación del Cuestionario de uso de mensajería de texto en el salón de clases [Creation and Validation of the Questionnaire on Text Messaging in Classroom].
Vale-Nieves, O., Rivera-Maldonado, M. (2015). Puerto Rican Journal of Psychology, 26(1), 40-54.
- Mensajería de texto en el salón de clases: uso y prácticas de estudiantes universitario [Text-messaging in Classroom: Use and Practices of College Students].
Vale-Nieves, O., Rivera Maldonado, M., Wagner, C. (2014). Revista Internacional de Aprendizaje y Cibersociedad, 19(2), 91-103.
- Fostering Biculturalism Among Latinx Families: Improving Parent-Child Relationships through Emerging Practices.
Rivera-Maldonado, M., Torres, A., Bermeo, E., & Restrepo, M. (2018, October). Roundtable presented at the 2018 National Latino Psychological Association Conference, San Diego, California.
- Consultation in Therapeutic Communities: Voices of Daily Work.
Lester, L, & Rivera-Maldonado, M. (2017, August). Paper presented at the 2017 APA Annual Convention, Washington, DC.
- The Daily Lives of Institutionalized Women: an Ethnographic Study.
Rivera-Maldonado, M. (2015, November). Lecture presented at the Latino Psychological Association of New Jersey 2015 Conference, Hackensack UMC Mountainside Hospital, New Jersey.
- Technologies and Learning Processes: Psychosocial and Educative Reflection Based on Research Projects.
Figueroa-Sarriera, H., Caballin, H., Rivera-Maldonado, M., Betancourt, E., & Vale-Nieves, O. (2015, March). Panel discussion presented at the 13th Puerto Rican Congress of Educational Research, San Juan, P.R.
- Debates on the Assessment of Children with Special Needs: Training Professionals with an Integrative View.
Martínez, S., Rivera-Maldonado, M., Felix, J., & Ruiz, F. (2015). Panel discussion presented at the 13th Puerto Rican Congress of Educational Research, San Juan, P.R.
- Mad People or Institutional Madness? Research Experiences in Confinement Settings.
Rivera-Maldonado, M., & Irizarry, N. (2015, March). Lecture presented at the 6th Conference of the Student Psychological Association for the Development of Research, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan.