Do you have a love of language? Are you interested in developing a clear and expressive writing style?
Become an English major and take some fascinating courses in literature and writing! You will discover a world of opportunity as you acquire skills in reading, writing, critical thinking, public speaking, analyzing and researching – essential skills that can be applied to a variety of future career possibilities.
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Co-major with English and Education
- Minor in English
- Minor in one or more interdisciplinary programs: Women’s Studies, Medieval Studies, or Pre-Law
Points of Interest
- Learn about a variety of literary periods – the Medieval Period to Post-Modern literature.
- Study all the literary genres – non-fiction, poetry, drama, short story, novel, and children’s literature.
- Develop your writing style in every interest – essay, creative writing, travel writing, and persuasive writing.
- Participate in poetry readings every semester (our faculty will also join the readings).
- Actively engage in small, seminar-style classes.
- Take advantage of a combination of both online and in-class learning.
- Conduct senior research with a faculty mentor of your choice, who guides and supports your individual growth in research and writing about literature.
In addition to further study in graduate and professional schools (law and medicine), the skills you acquire in reading, interpreting complex texts, and writing make an English degree a versatile choice for many fields:
- Teacher (at all levels)
- Advertising and public relations professional
- Writer, editor, proofreader, copyeditor, and researcher
- Paralegal in business
- Public service
- Network and cable television studios (including host of a TV show)
- The Red Cross (public relations)
- Cerebral Palsy Foundation
- Local public officials