MSN Family or Adult-Gerontology Nurse PractitionerSection Menu
Advanced Practice Nurses are in the forefront of making some of the biggest strides in improving health behavior today. For RN’s with a BSN Degree who are looking to advance their career as a primary care Advanced Practice Nurse with prescriptive practice, Felician offers the theoretical content of the Adult-Gerontology and Family Nurse Practitioner MSN tracks online. Clinical hours are completed in 5 designated courses in addition to the online content. You work under the guidance of qualified faculty, to select clinical preceptors and clinical practicum sites which meet the program objectives. You can complete the program in as little as 2 years. Program graduates are eligible to apply for national certification from the American Nurses' Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioner (AANP), State Board of Nursing licensure as an APN and for admission to doctoral study.
- 43 Credits Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Track plus 600 clinical hours and on-campus residencies in designated courses
- 46 Credits Family Nurse Practitioner Track plus 780 clinical hours and on-campus residencies in designated courses.
- Students are required to follow the policies and professional standards established by the graduate nursing department. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the program. If a student withdraws from the program and is readmitted at a later time, the requirements in effect at the time of readmission will apply.
- Proof of current registered nurse license, per admission criteria.
- Proof of current CPR certification for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
- Proof of liability insurance with a minimum coverage of 1,000,000/6,000,000.
- Proof of current health clearance issued by the Felician College Wellness Center.
- Adherence to health clearance obligations as required by the clinical or practicum agency.
- Students are responsible for securing their own clinical and/or practicum placements with faculty approval. Students are expected to travel to clinical and or practicum sites and are financially responsible for all costs associated with travel.
- Adherence to criminal history background checks when required by a clinical or practicum agency. The agency reserves the right to exclude a student from their site. Such exclusion shall result in dismissal from the program.
- Standardized testing may be used in the curriculum. Specifics of standardized testing are contained within individual course syllabi. Students are financially responsible for all costs associated with standardized testing.
- Students are required to register for a certification review course prior to completion of NURS 580/1. Students are responsible for all costs associated with certification review courses.
- A practicing professional nurse for a minimum of one year and currently employed in professional nursing practice.
- Proof of student nurse practitioner liability insurance with a minimum coverage of 1,000,000/6,000,000.
Requirements for admission to the MSN Advanced Practice program include:
- A completed application.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing from a program accredited by a national accrediting agency, and approved by the Board of Nursing.
- 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Licensure as a registered professional nurse in New Jersey. The licensee cannot have any pending disciplinary action against their nursing license from any Board of Nursing.
- Submission of two professional and/or academic references from persons qualified to judge applicant's ability to succeed in graduate study.
- Submission of all official academic transcripts.
- International academic credentials are reviewed by an international accrediting agency (World Education Services) on an individual basis.
- TOEFL scores of 79-80 (550) are required of graduates of non- English speaking countries.
- Criminal history background check(s) or other requirements mandated by the practicum site.
- A practicing professional nurse for a minimum of one year and currently employed in professional nursing practice. Those who have completed a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and are lacking the one year experience requirement may be accepted conditionally. While completing this practice requirement, students may only register for non-clinical coursework.
- Successful completion of undergraduate courses in nursing research, statistics, pathophysiology and health assessment.
- A notarized copy of the photo page of a government-issued identification such as passport or driver's license.
- Identified clinical placement site location and preceptor for clinical experience.
Students residing in states other than New Jersey need to check with the Office of Enrollment Management that Felician's MSN online program has been approved to operate within their state.