You are here
The Physician Assistant Program is an articulated program coordinated with Rutgers --School of Health Related Professionals (Rutgers-SHRP) providing a B.S. in Biology from Felician University and a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies from Rutgers-SHRP.
Physician Assistants are health care professionals licensed to practice medicine with physician supervision. As part of their comprehensive responsibilities, PAs conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, counsel on preventive health care, assist in surgery, and in most states write prescriptions. The education of PAs is based on the medical model designed to complement physician training. Upon graduation, Physician Assistants take a national certifying examination developed by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants in conjunction with the National Board of Medical Examiners.
PAs work in a variety of clinical settings. More than half are employed in one of the primary care fields: family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, and obstetrics and gynecology. Other popular areas of practice include surgery and emergency medicine.
Students in the the Physician Assistant Program spend about three years at Felician University completing 99 credits in the pre-professional component (47 credits in the General Education and the Core Curriculum and 52 credits in the required departmental core). Students must formally apply for admission for their professional coursework to the Rutgers-SHRP Physician Assistant Program. Upon successful completion of their first year of courses at Rutgers-SHRP, Felician University will award a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. Upon successful completion of the remainder of the required coursework, Rutgers-SHRP will award a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies.
- High School graduation or equivalent diploma (GED).
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Placement Test is required and completion of ESL courses, if necessary.
- Earn a minimum of 600 on TOEFL Exam for applicants with foreign credentials who are transferring into the PA Program.
- Completion of any necessary remedial courses as determined by the University’s Basic Skills Test.
- A minimum grade of 2.500 for all transfer students.
- Applicants to the professional portion of the program should submit their application to UMDNJ by June 1st of their sophomore year, i.e., at the end of their fourth semester, assuming they have completed all of the program course requirements for the first four semesters, including the minimum course grade and GPA requirements. They will then be invited for an interview soon after the application deadline. Successful applicants would then need to complete all remaining required courses during their junior year, and meet course grade and GPA requirements.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.000
- Complete all the pre-professional courses (99 credits) with a grade of “C” or better in all required science and math courses
- Formally apply to the Rutgers-SHRP Physician Assistant Program for the professional component of the program
- Submit three letters of recommendation; and
- Participate in an interview with the Admissions Committee
- In addition, applicants are strongly encouraged, but not required, to arrange for a patient contact experience in a hospital or clinic setting.
Course Requirements (99 Credits) At Felician University
Core Curriculum (12 credits)
|CORE 200||Culture and Diversity||3|
|CORE 250||Applied Ethical Reasoning||3|
|CORE 300||Journey to Selfhood||3|
|CORE 400||Franciscan Vision||3|
General Education Requirements (35 credits)
|ENG 101||Writing the|
|ENG 102||Introduction to the Study of Literature||3|
|RELS___||Religious Studies Elective (100 or 200 level)||3|
|RELS___||Religious Studies Elective (300 or 400 level)||3|
|______||Social/Behavioral Sci. Elective (HIST, ECON, PSYC, PSCI, SOC)||3|
|MATH___||Mathematics Elective (MATH 160 or higher)||4|
|CIS 101/103||Introduction to Computer Applications||4|
|Introduction to Advanced Computer Applications||3|
|ART/MUS___||Creative Arts Elective||3|
|PSYC 101||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|FYE 100||* Freshman Year Experience I||1|
|FYE 101||* Freshman Year Experience II||1|
Required Pre-Professional Core (52 credits)
|BIO 103||General Biology I||4|
|BIO 104||General Biology II||4|
|BIO 205||Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|BIO 206||Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|BIO 310||Cell Biology||3|
|CHEM 103||General Chemistry I||5|
|CHEM 104||General Chemistry II||5|
|CHEM 201||Organic Chemistry I||4|
|MATH 122||Statistics I||3|