You are here
MS Healthcare Administration
America's healthcare systems, including providers, suppliers, insurance organizations, and policy organizations face a number of challenging imperatives in today’s healthcare environment. Administrators and managers require a deeper understanding of the implications of these imperatives as well as models of new ways of thinking and creating solutions.
The Felician University Master of Science in Healthcare Administration (MSHA) enables students to develop strategic leadership approaches to solving problems in organizations as well as advancing their professional careers while building awareness of the various aspects of the dynamic healthcare environment.
The MSHA program focuses on building core competencies including the ability to integrate and apply 21st century leadership concepts, work in and manage teams, communicate effectively to multiple audiences, make better business decisions, and demonstrate personal and organizational ethical and professional standards. Advanced courses include scholarly project work and an optional executive field placement/capstone. Using an interdisciplinary approach that examines the healthcare industry from a nursing and business perspective, students increase their strategic thinking, decision making and teamwork competencies through online discussions, major papers, executive summaries, in class discussions, and case presentations, building critical thinkers who dig deeper and question the how and the why. Most importantly, our commitment to ethical decision making is unique – preparing healthcare leaders who reflect the Franciscan mission within a global society and world class health systems.
Why should I choose the Felician University MSHA Program?
There are many reasons for choosing Felician University for your MSHA program, some of which include:
- Felician University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Graduate culture and community is tailored to fit mid-career professionals who desire to compete on a new level of excellence
- Optional executive field placement capstone provides the opportunity to work with a healthcare executive mentor
- Membership in a cohort enables students to share work experiences and learn about working in a team environment
- Participation in a variety of learning activities facilitates the acquisition of knowledge
- Interaction with faculty creates a collaborative, scholarly learning environment
- Extracurricular events such as monthly guest speakers enrich the learning experience
- Convenient schedule of courses that meet one night a week for eight weeks help you complete your degree with minimal disruption to your life
- Opportunity to earn your degree in approximately two years lets you achieve your dreams quickly
Students follow the course sequence below to earn their degree:
|Course #||Course Name||Credits|
|HCA 515||Management and Structural Analysis of Healthcare Organizations||3|
|NURS 550||Ethics, Human Diversity and Social Issues||3|
|CA 540||Human Resources Management in Healthcare Administration||3|
|NURS 520||Advocacy: Practice in Global Political and Social Systems||3|
|CIS 630||Information Technology and Management of Data||3|
|HCA 510||Research Methods and Statistical Analysis||3|
|QUAN 572||Quantitative Analysis||3|
|HCA 650||Principles and Strategies of Project Management||3|
|HCA 530||Advanced Leadership and Leadership Strategies||3|
|HCA 550||Strategic Marketing||3|
|NURS 620||Critique of Quality and Safety Practices||3|
|BUS 501||Advanced Business Dimensions of Healthcare||3|
|HCA 660||Action Research: Making Practical, Evidence-based Improvement (option 1)||3|
|HCA 670||Master's Scholarly Project (option 2)||3|
- Graduation from an accredited baccalaureate program
- Official transcripts of past collegiate work
- Personal Statement
Note: GMAT or GRE scores may be requested from students if the other pieces of the application are not sufficient to make an admission decision.
What can I do with an MS in Healthcare Administration?
All kinds of things! Employment sectors in the Healthcare Administration field include providers (hospitals, nursing homes, outpatient care centers, rehabilitation centers, group physician practices), suppliers (consulting firms, healthcare management companies, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, educational organizations), insurance organizations, and policy organizations (health policy agencies, non-profit organizations with health care as their mission). An MS in Healthcare Administration gives you an understanding of management and leadership issues in health administration at the local, state, and federal level as well as in the nonprofit sector, preparing you for senior management roles.