In order to accept any form of employment either on or off campus, it is necessary to have a Social Security number. To obtain a Social Security number, you must visit a Social Security office and complete an application. It will take approximately two weeks to receive your card in the mail. When you apply, you will receive a receipt from the Social Security office. You should retain this receipt; in the event that you begin working before receiving your Social Security card, you must present the receipt to your employer. You should be aware that a Social Security number does NOT authorize you to accept employment off-campus. Accepting unauthorized off-campus employment is a violation of your F-1 status.
How do I apply for a Social Security card?
To apply for a Social Security card, you must be hired to work on campus and present the following at the SS office:
- A completed social security application form. (You will receive this form from the receptionist at the social security office. Social Security application forms are also available online at www.ssa.gov.)
- Your passport (Your passport must have an issue date earlier than one year from the date you applied for your Social Security card. If not, you will need to bring picture ID of some sort with a date in the same effect. A picture ID in a language other than English is permitted. The Social Security Administration will translate your ID, but expect processing delays.)
- Your original stamped I-20 and subsequent I-20s issued to you
- Your I-94 card (Generally stapled inside your passport)
- A letter of employment (The letter of employment must be written on company letterhead and state your position, hours, start date, and end date.)
- A letter of employment (The letter of employment must be written on company letterhead and state your job position, location and start date)
All documents must be originals; the Social Security office cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.
Local Social Security Offices
Phone Number: 1-800-772-1213
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
(Above information applies to all offices)
Clifton Social Security Office
935 Allwood Road
Clifton, NJ 07012
Hackensack Social Security Office
22 Sussex Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Hoboken Social Security Office
5 Marine View Plaza
Hoboken, NJ 07030